Read about our eight main areas of DJ Promotion
Green Galactic specializes in the marketing and promotion of DJ culture. Our US success has its roots in our two, extremely well respected record pools Ė Green House Record Pool, for underground dance/house music, and Green Galactic Ambient Pool for down-tempo/minimal/abstract electronic music. Current members and alumni include top jocks such as Doc Martin, Jason Bentley, Mark Lewis, Steve Loria, Robert Oleysyck, Tomas, Swedish Egil and Danny Cosmo.
Recently, we have worked a number of excellent records to our extensive database of DJs. Some recent projects have included:
- Jazz great Graham Haynes electronic excursions remixed by State of Bengal (Knitting Factory)
- The Dust Brotherís Remixes on red vinyl of their score for the film Fight Club (Restless Records)
- Jungle Brothers summer dance floor hit "VIP" (Gee Street)
- Trickyís label Durban Poisoní debut artist Genaside IIís breakbeat track "Mr. Maniac" (Never)
- Next Millennium Hip Hop kings Freestylersí underground hit "B-Boy Stance" (Mammoth)
- Electronic superstars Underworldís single "King Of Snake" (V2)
- Jungle Brothers Vs. Aphroditeís huge dance floor hit "Jungle Brother" (Gee Street)
- Mr.C of the Shamenís CD Animus Amourís Donít Run Unless God Says (Ellipsis Arts)
- Never Records singles Lords of Acidís "I Am Sexy" and Praga Khanís "Breakfast in Vegas"
- Material's "Road To The Western Lands," remixed by DJ Olive, Soul Slinger, Spring Heel Jack and Talvin Singh (Triloka/Mercury)
- Online Diva Ana Voogís single "Hollywood" (Radioactive/MCA)
All of Green Galacticís campaigns are unique. We work closely with the client to develop a targeted and effective strategy, meeting your needs. Following are the eight main areas of DJ Promotion. Please review the following sections so we can discuss a tailor-made game plan for your release.
Commercial Alternative Mix Shows
Because of our long history in the alternative dance community, Green Galactic has excellent relationships with DJs who program and spin on Commercial Alternative Mix shows throughout the country. Better yet, many of these DJs spin in clubs and are the tastemakers among other DJs in their markets. We specialize in DJs who report to the Commercial Alternative Mix Show charts in Album Network, Virtually Alternative, and R&R. Our efforts have generated BDS spins for our clients at stations including:
Rave and Club DJs
The Green Galactic database includes hundreds of the top DJs in America who spin at weekly clubs, underground one-offs, raves, events and house parties. These DJs are the underground tastemakers in their scene, and together as a group can create dance floor hits. Through our Feedback Sheets, developed and honed over the years in our Green House and Green Galactic record pools, DJs mark their responses to records we work and forward this info back to us for compiling. Our target DJs are familiar with our Feedback Sheets, and we enjoy a high rate of DJ response through these sheets. We find the DJs responses to be an excellent barometer of your singles' potential.
Green Galactic has current contact, preference and market information for this ever-changing group of Rave and Club DJ's including the following genres:
- Jungle/Drum 'n' Bass
- Down- Tempo/Ambient
- Trip Hop/Acid Jazz
Green Galactic enjoys excellent relationships with Record Pools nationwide, due to our unique position: a company that has its own record pools and is experienced in promotion and publicity campaigns. Our finely targeted pool service can increase the play and visibility of your record, helping to generate the critical mass of opinion needed to make your record a "must play."
We can service pools for you at three different levels of saturation:
- One copy to each pool director. That single piece mailout could be the only pool promotion or we can put in a note instructing the director to request more copies if the release is suitable for their pool.
- Multiple copies of the release to each pool according to what their DJ's play.
- Full service: to all pools or just to select pools based on your needs and budget.
Our database also includes a mailing list of 100 journalists who review singles. These critics write for trade magazines such as Hits, Virtually Alternative, and CMJ, as well as underground dance culture magazines such as Urb, XLR8R, and Mixer. Single reviews in trades and dance genre magazines are one of the best promotional tools available in developing dancefloor hits. Interestingly, a surprising number of influential national music journalists are also bedroom DJís who enjoy the opportunity to review 12" singles.
Though many of the records we promote at Green Galactic are not the typical vocal house tracks that normally dominate the Billboard Club Play chart, we service the Billboard Reporters because these jocks are very influential in their markets and across the US. Billboard Reporters represent a segment of American DJs with huge personal investments in DJing, and we find most of them to be very open-minded regarding what they actually spin if not in what they chart. Of course each promotion project is unique, but we find that some, if not all, Billboard Reporters should be serviced for maximum exposure.
Pop Radio Mix Shows
We have excellent relationships with Pop radio mix show jocks, again due to our longstanding presence in the dance community. Pop Radio Mix Show DJs are often the most receptive commercial ears to underground records and cool remixes and can expose these tracks to huge commercial audiences. For each project we pick and choose which jocks will receive your release because their importance in promotion varies widely according to factors including the DJís:
- Personal and professional tastes
- Stations rating/wattage
- Station format
- Show format (i.e., whether the show has interviews, is live mixed, etc.)
- How long and how often the show airs
- Show time-slot
- How many other mix shows are on the station
College and Non-Commercial Radio
College and Non-Commercial Radio dance shows are extremely influential for underground and indie releases. Further, these shows are tracked through CMJ's RPM chart weekly. Our database includes a complete list of CMJ RPM reporters, and we have excellent relationships with CMJ's RPM staff. We are extremely proactive in approaching RPM reporters and given enough product to service, we can all but guarantee you a RPM charting record.
A full DJ promotional campaign typically costs $2500 per month per release. Actual expenses (mailings, printings, etc.) are billed separately. For each project we hand pick the DJs who will receive product and promotional materials, and this usually means we service DJ's from all areas outlined above.
For a smaller or more focused approach, we will work with you on a campaign designed around some of the pre-selected areas outlined above. For this type of campaign, we charge $500 per area of concentration, with a minimum of three areas of focus.
Please contact us to set up a meeting to discuss and tailor a campaign for your DJ promotional needs. We can always be reached at 323.466.5141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green Galactic Los Angeles 323.466.5141